Monday, April 1, 2024

Clerks – Cardozo Education Campus (DC)

File that document! Type those notes! Clerk! Clerk! Clerk!

So, a couple of explanations about this one …

First of all, the “Education Campus” used to be called Cardozo Senior High (and Central High before that). I’m not totally sure what an “education campus” is. I mean, isn’t that a bit redundant? (Turns out it just combines a high school and middle school.)

As for “Cardozo,” I have to admit I’m a little confused. My initial guess was that it was named for Benjamin N Cardozo, a Supreme Court Justice under FDR. And justices, of course, are known for their clerks.

Wikipedia, however, is telling me that the school is named for clergyman, politician & educator Francis Lewis Cardozo. Now, I’ve never heard of him, but he does have quite a distinguished background. None of that, however, seems to have anything to do with clerks. 

Thankfully, the Historical Marker Database site clears everything up. It’s telling me that the “clerks” come from the school’s history preparing students for a future in business. Whew! Glad we finally cleared up.

Our final mystery involves owls. Yup, that’s what appears on their logo. 

Sorry, no clue about that one. They are, though, typically associated with wisdom. At the college level, owls are the mascots for Rice, Temple & a few others.

Central dates back to 1877, and was the first high school in the city. Between Central and Cardozo, we’ve actually got some famous alumni, including J Edgar Hoover, Marvin Gaye, and a number of generals and admirals.

As for sports, I’m afraid I couldn’t find that much. Just for example, this is what the school’s athletics webpage shows:

Let me end with a callout to Benjamin N Cardozo High School, in Bayside NY. Their teams go by the name of Judges.

No comments:

Post a Comment