Thursday, September 19, 2024

Lambkins – Ft Collins (CO) High School

Continuing our series of fearsome, intimidating, bloodthirsty mascots …

What exactly is a lambkin? According to Collins Dictionary, it’s a “1. a little lamb. 2. a person who is exceptionally sweet, young, and innocent, as a small child.” 

When I do a search on the term, I get images such as these:

  

Interestingly, it also happens to be the name of a certain (rather unattractive) cat breed.

All in all, probably not what you want to call your sports teams.

How did that come about though? Would it help to know that Ft Collins was once a center for wool and sheep?

I actually thought it must be a play on Colorado State’s mascot, the ram, as both schools are in Ft Collins. Unfortunately, the ram goes back to only 1946, while the lambkin dates all the way back to 1917. 

Ft Collins is about an hour north of Denver. These days, the city of 170,000 is known mostly for CSU, but also relies on manufacturing, tech & brewing. Like Denver, it’s at the foot of the Rockies.

The high school goes all the way back to the 1890s, with 1,800 students today. Wikipedia lists 7 “notable people,” though I haven’t heard of any of ‘em. I don’t know, maybe you’re intimately familiar with JD Hammer, John Paragon, and Dorothy Metcalf-Lindenburger. I’m definitely not.

Surprisingly, JD Hammer is a baseball player, not a rapper.

The school has made an attempt to make their mascot a little more aggressive over the years.

 

I don’t know, guys.I’m not sure it’s working. (Psst, I think it’s the name.)


No comments:

Post a Comment